Our Colleyville, TX patients who are seeking dental implants sometimes have inadequate bone density in their upper jawbone. When this happens, the individuals are at an elevated risk for complications if they undergo dental implant placement. In these cases, Dr. Chris Tye may recommend a procedure known as a sinus lift to restore the patient’s candidacy for dental implants. During the oral surgery, Dr. Tye will reposition the floor of the sinus area before grafting additional bone tissue to the area.
Inadequate bone volume and density do not need to stand between you and a stronger smile. At Texas Oral Surgery Specialists in Colleyville, TX, Dr. Tye, MD, DDS, D.D.S., M.D., can perform sinus lift surgery to restore your candidacy for the life-changing benefits of dental implants.
Am I a Candidate?
Most of the patients who seek the restorative benefits of a sinus lift are good candidates for the surgery. Dr. Tye will examine your X-rays or other images to determine if you require the procedure in order to receive dental implants. As with any surgery, patients should be in good overall health and free of any chronic conditions that could complicate healing. Ideal candidates:
- Are not heavy smokers
- Are not on anticoagulants
- Understand the potential risks of surgery
- Are willing to carefully follow Dr. Tye’s recovery guidelines
Benefits of Sinus Lift Surgery
Once you have undergone this straightforward procedure, you can benefit from:
- Restored upper jawbone strength: Periodontal disease, aging, and other factors can leave your upper jawbone deficient in jawbone volume and density. Sinus lift surgery restores the strength and health of your upper jawbone.
- Candidacy for dental implants: The main benefit of undergoing a sinus lift is the gaining of candidacy for dental implants. Dental implants are a superior replacement for missing teeth that functions much like natural teeth. Sinus lift surgery lowers your risk for complications following the placement of the implant post.
- A safe procedure: A sinus lift sounds invasive, but the procedure is frequently performed with minimal complications. Patients should expect common post-surgical symptoms following surgery that include bruising, swelling, and discomfort.
How Does Sinus Lift Surgery Work?
Dr. Tye will perform sinus lift surgery using a combination of anesthesia and sedation. Once you are comfortable, he will make a small incision in the gums along your upper jaw. Using that incision to access the area between your jawbone and sinuses, he will use donor tissue or grafting material to reposition the floor of the sinus. Once the surgery is finished, any incision will be closed with sutures.
In the hours and days following surgery, patients should apply ice packs as needed while avoiding strenuous activities. A soft-food diet is also recommended for the first few days after surgery. Finally, be sure to follow Dr. Tye’s recovery guidelines carefully.
Work With a Trusted Oral Surgeon in Colleyville, TX
Once you have fully recovered from your sinus lift surgery, an appointment for your dental implant placement will be made. For more information and to book your consultation with Dr. Tye, call us at 817-552-3223.