IV Sedation Dentistry in Colleyville, TX
At Texas Oral Surgery Specialists in Colleyville, TX, we provide IV sedation in our Certified Outpatient Surgery Center. Chris L. Tye, MD, DDS, DDS, MD is uniquely qualified to provide this level of anesthesia. A residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery requires extensive training in airway management, general anesthesia, and IV sedation. For our patients’ safety, all procedures are performed with the continuous monitoring of respiration, oxygen, blood pressure, and heart rate.
How Does IV Sedation Work?
Short acting IV medications are used to reduce pain and anxiety by producing a depressed level of consciousness while the patient continues to breath spontaneously. Because these medications are delivered directly to your bloodstream, the effects are virtually immediate. Most patients will drift off into a sleeplike state, as anxiety and worry melt away. Best of all, patients are still able to respond to the doctor if necessary. Because Dr. Tye will have constant access to your bloodstream through the IV port, dosages can be appropriately adjusted throughout the duration of your procedure. IV drugs typically induce short-term memory loss. Therefore, most patients will not remember the majority of the procedure once it is over.
IV sedation is highly effective at alleviating stress and anxiety. This method particularly helps patients who have:
- A fear of needles
- Emotional trauma due to past dental experiences
- Difficulty getting numb
- A gag reflex
- Extreme sensitivity
Am I a Candidate for IV Sedation?
During your initial consultation, Dr. Tye will perform a thorough assessment and discuss your medical history in detail. While most patients qualify for IV sedation, some people with certain medical conditions may not be eligible. It is important to let Dr. Tye know about any medical conditions, past surgeries, or current medications or supplements. This will help ensure your treatment is successful and predictable.
Requirements for IV Sedation
IV sedation is a common method in dentistry to help patients achieve a state of relaxation while undergoing treatment. Dr. Tye will discuss pre-operative instructions with you in detail during your initial consultation. In the meantime, there are some important things to know about the process before undergoing IV sedation. Typical instructions require that you:
- Fast: It is important to have an empty stomach the day of your surgery. Therefore, it is required that you have nothing to eat or drink six to eight hours prior to the procedure. Regular medications may be taken with small sips of water.
- Arrange for a Driver: Because IV sedation affects your memory and motor skills, it is imperative that you have a friend or family member who can drive you to and from the office the day of your procedure. Your escort must be able to stay at the surgery center until we release you.
- Avoid Alcohol: It is a good idea to abstain from drinking alcoholic beverages for approximately 24 hours before your surgery.
- Stop Smoking: Because tobacco use can have a negative impact on your healing, we recommend you stop smoking 12 hours before your appointment, if possible.
Your Bedford, TX Oral Surgeon
Dr. Tye and our team are skilled and experienced in sedation dentistry. No matter what your dental needs, we can provide you with high-quality dental care in a relaxing atmosphere.
We are proud to serve Colleyville, TX and the communities of Grapevine, Keller, Southlake, and Euless. If you would like to schedule a consultation, you can contact us online, or call our office at (817) 552-3223.
For Additional Information, visit: